Faceted Search and Metadata
- dtSearch products can index and search metadata in all supported file types and databases: MS Access, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, other “Office” files, compression formats (RAR, ZIP, GZIP, TAR), XBASE, CSV, HTML, XML/XSL, PDF, PDF portfolio, ASP.NET, CMS, PHP, SharePoint, etc.
- dtSearch products can also index and search metadata in emails such as Outlook/Exchange (PST/OST/MSG) and Thunderbird (MBOX/EML), including fields in both emails and in attachments (even recursively embedded attachments). More email options
- The dtSearch Spider, built into the product line and also available as a .NET API, can access SharePoint and similar online data. For developers, the Data Source API is also an alternative to the dtSearch Spider for working with SharePoint and similar online databases.
- The Data Source API further supports NoSQL and SQL databases along with BLOB data.
- A “Getting Started” database indexing tutorial is also available among the I-Programmer articles.
- Developer APIs also support faceted search and many other options for data classification.
General Metadata Search Options
- Detection and support of metadata in all supported data types is automatic.
- In addition to locating general search terms in metadata, dtSearch products can also limit searching to specific fields: (Author contains John Smith) and (Subject contains turbine generators).
- For XML data, dtSearch supports hierarchical field structures, including both fields and attributes, enabling highly refined nested field queries.
- Variable term weighting can also apply to fields: (description:5 contains (apple and pear)) or (author:2 contains smith).
- Developers, see the Databases and Field Searching section of Selected Articles by Subject for additional options relating to relevancy ranking, sorting search results and metadata display in search results.
- Faceted search is an option for classifying data at the user interface level. Using faceted search, the end-user can “drill down” through various topics to hone in on the correct topical subset prior to performing a search.
- The dtSearch Engine offers APIs to implement faceted search.
- CodeProject also has two articles on faceted search and the dtSearch Engine.